Friday, July 29, 2016

Act Normal by William Manchee 🔖


I received this book as a First Reads to review. I thought it sounded interesting from the description. However, I was not won over. I gave it my token 40 pages or 4 chapters - in this case it was both - and could not consider moving on. This was written in first person, but each chapter alternated between Stan and Paula. Maybe I'm merely not smart enough, but this got confusing. And when Stan and Paula were in the same conversation, I couldn't remember who "I" was from chapter to chapter. The premise as well couldn't drag me in. Stan's son has been abducted by "aliens" who are actually humans from another planet, and the son is taken to their planet. This is in order to make sure Stan complies with his "job" with the CIA to keep the aliens' existence secret. (I'm not giving anything away. That's all in the prologue and first chapter.) In chapter two, Stan meets one of the main aliens and the conversation and "ploy" to get Stan's compliance just didn't sit well with me. Wasn't believable enough, I suppose. I know, we're talking aliens here, but a great author can convince me with ease. This one didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023 Readings Wherein I Failed to Comment

Night by Elie Wiesel 🔖🔖🔖🔖 Looking for Alaska by John Green ✖️ Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly ✖️