Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See 🔖🔖🔖


This was tough for me to get into at first. At almost half way point, it grabbed me until the very end. I found the Chinese culture fascinating as I've never known much about it. Foot binding was disturbing, but described so well! I had no idea.

The novel introduces the custom "In nineteenth-century China ... some girls were paired with laotongs, 'old sames,' in emotional matches that lasted throughout their lives. They painted letters on fans, embroidered messages on handkerchiefs, and composed stories, thereby reaching out of their isolation to share their hopes, dreams, and accomplishments.

With the arrival of a silk fan on which Snow Flower has composed for Lily a poem of introduction in nu shu, their friendship is sealed and they become “old sames” at the tender age of seven. As the years pass, through famine and rebellion, they reflect upon their arranged marriages, loneliness, and the joys and tragedies of motherhood. The two find solace, developing a bond that keeps their spirits alive. But when a misunderstanding arises, their lifelong friendship suddenly threatens to tear apart."

Part of my difficulty with the book is totally personal. I knew ahead of time some misunderstanding was going to ruin things. I hate that, so I tried not to get too tied to this relationship. When they started turning more to each other for deeper things (like survival), I got taken in. Without giving too much away, I will admit to tremendous emotion on my part during the entire last 20 pages. I think, for me, that's the sign of a good book.

Only three stars because I don't need to own it and the difficulty in getting into it might keep me from recommending it to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023 Readings Wherein I Failed to Comment

Night by Elie Wiesel 🔖🔖🔖🔖 Looking for Alaska by John Green ✖️ Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly ✖️