Tuesday, July 26, 2016

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare 🔖🔖🔖


This one kept my interest for the most part and it is one I would have loved as a teen. As an adult, I found the lack of adult characters added to the flimsiness of the plot. There were a few pivotal parts of the book when characters were talking amongst each other, figuring out how to fix this or that issue, and pages were the teens having the discussion, the whole time an adult in the room, silent. Surely they could have had more play in fixing the problems that came up without detracting from the characters of the kids. There were also times when the writing almost grated on me as there were overused cliches, repeated phrases to describe something, or an overall feel of inexperience. It was also fairly predictable in significant ways. For those reasons, this doesn't get 4 or 5 stars.

It was entertaining for me and I didn't feel like I wasted my time on it. Yet I won't be highly recommending it and I don't need to own it. I will likely read on in the series, but it's not high on my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023 Readings Wherein I Failed to Comment

Night by Elie Wiesel 🔖🔖🔖🔖 Looking for Alaska by John Green ✖️ Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly ✖️