Tuesday, August 30, 2016

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky 🔖🔖🔖


First published February 1, 1999

__________

This is the story of what it's like to grow up in high school. More intimate than a diary, Charlie's letters are singular and unique, hilarious and devastating. We may not know where he lives. We may not know to whom he is writing. All we know is the world he shares. Caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it puts him on a strange course through uncharted territory. The world of first dates and mixed tapes, family dramas and new friends. The world of sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, when all one requires is that the perfect song on that perfect drive to feel infinite.

Through Charlie, Stephen Chbosky has created a deeply affecting coming-of-age story, a powerful novel that will spirit you back to those wild and poignant roller coaster days known as growing up. (Source: goodreads)

__________

This was a quick read. I initially found the letters written by Charlie to be quite believable, as if I could have been reading my own journals from when I was a teen. The book was well written from the point of view of Charlie. The more the story continued, the more issue I had with how out of the norm this one school year was for Charlie. We are talking about suicide, domestic abuse, death, drugs, mental health issues, first sexual experiences, rape, homosexuality, abortion, and molestation. I can't tell if I am just hoping this is not how kids live and what they have to deal with on a regular basis or if I was just uncomfortable with the sexual nature of so much of his life. It's the latter possibility that keeps me from rating this more than 3 stars. I did relate to Charlie and enjoyed the development of his character and while I enjoyed the book for the most part, I don't see myself recommending it to anyone.

__________

Why was this banned?

Sexuality, violence, profanity, suicide


My take

Sexuality: Several references and descriptions, masturbation, teens having sex, sex without consent

Violence: Other than listed above, there is description of people hitting other people

Profanity: F word about 6 times, vulgar references to body parts, offensive name calling

Suicide: Mentioned


No comments:

Post a Comment

2023 Readings Wherein I Failed to Comment

Night by Elie Wiesel 🔖🔖🔖🔖 Looking for Alaska by John Green ✖️ Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly ✖️