Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Babbitt by Sinclair Lewis 🔖🔖🔖

 First time I attempted to read this ten years ago, I could not get into it. I am likely a bit more patient today, though if it weren't for my goal to finish the list this book happens to be on, I'd likely have once again put it down. I'm glad I finished this time. It was an interesting "study".


The topic, the behaviors, the thoughts, the reactions were all too familiar. I'm not sure how I feel about the fact that we don't seem to change much in 100 years. This could have been written today. And chapter 14 could have been spoken at rallies these days and no one would have thought it out of place. Sadly.

The conversation with Ted on the last page is the only glimmer of positivity I got from this. It gets 3 stars because this fact made me feel uncomfortable, and I like when novels can make me think and mull things over in such a way. This book has the potential to be a great warning of sorts to those who just can't seem to find ways to stay in their integrity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023 Readings Wherein I Failed to Comment

Night by Elie Wiesel 🔖🔖🔖🔖 Looking for Alaska by John Green ✖️ Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly ✖️