Thursday, August 10, 2023

Lord of the Flies by William Golding 🔖🔖🔖🔖🔖


I read this book for the first time in high school and did not enjoy it. Now that I'm *much* older, it holds a bit more meaning and symbolism for me which I missed back in the day.


William Golding said once that the point of any book is not that you get the meaning the author intended, but it's how you experience being in the story, move through it, and whatever you interpret the meaning to be ... that's the right one. It isn't what the author put in, but what the reader gets out of it that matters. That being said, one could go on quite the tangent about the state of power and control, politics and charisma vs vulnerability. That's obvious - yet there's more to it than that. I hope you can find it.

I did not find the trajectory of these boys to be unbelievable or far-fetched. I loved the character development of Jack and of Ralph in particular. Ralph's thoughts and feelings were described quite well. I loved, loved in the end when someone asked who was in charge. And when Ralph reacted a few minutes later ...pulled me right in in ways I never expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023 Readings Wherein I Failed to Comment

Night by Elie Wiesel 🔖🔖🔖🔖 Looking for Alaska by John Green ✖️ Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly ✖️