Sunday, July 2, 2023

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut Jr 🔖🔖🔖🔖

 The first time I read this twenty years ago, I gave this 2 stars. That was back when I was offended by "gritty" writing styles, and there is some of it peppered throughout this novel. This time around, while it's still not the most comfortable for me, I can see it for what it is and see how it fits the story, the character, and the reality of the message. Basically, it isn't gratuitous; it fits.


I was also able to more clearly understand the symbolism, themes, and connections this time around. Vonnegut represented Billy so well in being so disconnected from his life, for good reason, except for those few moments when the reality of it all hits him. The character development made it quite clear and believable why Billy was experiencing life the way he was experiencing it. "Just go on without me." So much more deep and complex than I understood years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023 Readings Wherein I Failed to Comment

Night by Elie Wiesel 🔖🔖🔖🔖 Looking for Alaska by John Green ✖️ Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly ✖️