Saturday, May 13, 2017

Ink & Bone by Rachel Caine ✖️


This had such high ratings and the premise is so awesome, I almost feel bad for giving it such a low star rating. Almost. I couldn't even finish the book or get much past the first 40 pages.

The characters were flat. The descriptions were sketchy enough that the reader has a hard time understanding what is being described. Items that are not in our own existence are just suddenly there, not discussed, and moved on from as if we know it's history, meaning, and function. And at times, the writing was terrible. The last few examples that made me give up:

"Dinner that night was unusually calm and festive."
(I can guess what the author is attempting here, but it falls flat.)

"Couldn't read his expression."
(This is not a sentence, which would be fine if this were the tone of the entire book, but it's not. It's just a random non-sentence.)


I just couldn't see myself continuing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023 Readings Wherein I Failed to Comment

Night by Elie Wiesel 🔖🔖🔖🔖 Looking for Alaska by John Green ✖️ Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly ✖️