Thursday, June 23, 2016

Postcards from No Man's Land by Aidan Chambers 🔖🔖


So now I feel incredibly old fashioned. Young adult fiction? Definitely not like the fiction when I was a young adult. Definitely not the fiction I'd be pleased to have my children read as young adults. Maybe I'm incredibly naive, but having such sexual/near sexual experiences at 17 blows my mind.

The scenes aren't too graphic, but enough to cause me discomfort. And even though I don't like some description, what was offered was slanted. This is very obviously written by a man who thinks penises are the end all. Good descriptions of at least three of those. And even though there are actually male-female experiences here, not much mention of her parts. Weird.

Quite surprised this won so many awards. I'd not recommend this book. To anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023 Readings Wherein I Failed to Comment

Night by Elie Wiesel 🔖🔖🔖🔖 Looking for Alaska by John Green ✖️ Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly ✖️